10-Gb FCoE PCIe Dual Port Adapter (FC 5708; CCIN 2B3B)
Learn about the features, operating system requirements, and installation notes for the feature code (FC) 5708 adapter.
The 10-Gb FCoE PCIe Dual Port Adapter is a high-performance, converged network adapter (CNA). The adapter supports data networking and storage networking traffic on a single I/O adapter by using Enhanced Ethernet and Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE). Both FCoE and network interface controller (NIC) functions are available for both ports simultaneously. Using FCoE requires Convergence Enhanced Ethernet (CEE) switches.The following figure shows the adapter LEDs and connectors.Figure 1. 10-Gb FCoE PCIe Dual Port Adapter
The LEDs on the adapter provide information about the operation status of the adapter.
Table 1. Adapter LEDs Green SAN LED Green LAN LED Activity Off Off Power off Slow flashing (unison) Slow flashing (unison) Power-on, no link On On Link established, no activity On Flashing Link established, Transmission/Receive (TX/RX) LAN only activity Flashing On Link established, TX/RX SAN only activity Flashing Flashing Link established, TX/RX LAN and SAN activity Slow flashing (alternating) Slow flashing (alternating) Beaconing
For details about slot priorities and placement rules, see the PCI adapter placement topic collection for your system.
- FRU number
- 46K8088 (Designed to comply with RoHS requirement.)
- Wrap plug FRU number
- 12R9314 (Designed to comply with RoHS requirement.)
- I/O bus architecture
- PCI Express x8 generation-1 and x4 generation-2
- PCI Express (PCIe) Base and Card Electromechanical (CEM) 2.0
- Maximum number
- For the maximum adapters supported, see the PCI adapter placement topic collection for your system.
- LC multimode fiber optic
- SFP+ (small form-factor pluggable) with SR optics
- 3.3 V and 12-V
- Form factor
- Short, low-profile with standard-size bracket
- Cables are the responsibility of the customer. Use multimode fiber optic cables with short-wave lasers that adhere to the following specifications:
- Multimode 62.5/125 micron fiber
- 200 MHz x km bandwidth
- Maximum cable distance 1 is 33 m (108 ft)
- Multimode 50/125 micron fiber
- 500 MHz x km bandwidth
- Maximum cable distance is 82 m (269 ft)
- Multimode 50/125 micron fiber
- 2000 MHz x km bandwidth
- Maximum cable distance is 300 m (984 ft)
Operating system or partition requirementsThe adapter is supported on the following versions of the operating systems:
Note: If you are installing a new feature, ensure that you have the software required to support the new feature and that you determine whether there are any prerequisites. To check for the prerequisites, see IBM Prerequisite website .
- AIX Version 7.1 with Service Pack 3, or later
- AIX Version 6.1 with the 6100-06 Technology Level, and Service Pack 5, or later
- AIX Version 5.3 with the 5300-12 Technology Level and Service Pack 4, or later
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.6 for POWER®, or later
- Novel SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Service Pack 4, or later
- IBM® i
- Support of this feature with IBM i requires VIOS 2.2 or later
- IBM i 7.1, or later
- VIOS support requires VIOS 22.214.171.124-FP24 SP02, or later
Replacing FCoE adapters by using hot swap
When hot swapping FCoE adapters, be aware that device-related software for the storage devices might have additional devices that must be removed. See specific storage device documentation for information about how to remove these additional devices. The adapter has a unique worldwide port name (WWPN). When using the Fibre Channel function, check the zoning and LUN assignments to ensure that the Fibre Channel function is operating as expected.
Request a Quote
« Return to Previous Page